The Signs of Teething
While most babies begin teething around six months, that first tooth can appear anytime between three and 14 months. The pressure of an emerging tooth beneath the gums can be relieved by counter pressure, so teething babies often want to gnaw on things. Before a new tooth erupts, it can cause a red, swollen area on a baby's gums that you can sometimes see. Increased spittle can also mean a new tooth is about to cut. When the tooth moves through the bone and gum, it tends to come in stages, with increased activity at night, so you may notice your baby is more irritable in the evening.
Tips for Soothing Sore Gums
Your little one is at the age where that adorable first tooth may come any day now! You're on the lookout for the signs of teething, and here's what you can do to help keep the pain away.
- Offer a teething toy. There are lots of options for teething toys and rings. Look for one made of rubber that provides enough firmness but won't crack under pressure.
- Massage the gums. All you need is a clean finger or moist washcloth to rub your baby's gums. The pressure will help ease the discomfort.
- Keep it cool. A cold washcloth or chilled teething toy can feel so soothing on sore gums. However, don't give your baby a frozen toy as contact with extreme cold can be harmful to delicate gum tissue.
- Wipe away drool. Excessive drooling is part of the teething process. Help protect your baby's clothes with soft bibs, which you can also use for wiping your baby's chin. Make sure you keep your baby's face clean and dry to prevent skin irritation.
- Provide soothing relief with an over-the-counter medicine. Homeopathic Boiron Camilia® can help relieve your baby's painful gums, irritability, and minor digestive upsets associated with teething.* Its unique pre-measured liquid doses make giving medicine easier and more hygienic, too. Made with plant-based active ingredients like chamomile for calming relief, this liquid formula does not contain benzocaine, and will not numb your baby's gag reflex or interfere with nursing. It's also free of preservatives, flavors, dyes, lactose, sugar, and artificial sweeteners. Camilia is recommended for babies 1 month of age or older and is available in 15 and 30 pre-measured liquid doses at Walmart and other major retailers.
Visit CamiliaTeething.com for more information on teething and other homeopathic medicines for babies and children.
*Claims based on traditional homeopathic practice, not accepted medical evidence. Not FDA evaluated.